Hypothyroidism is a highly common, yet under-diagnosed condition. In fact, it is estimated that approximately 59 million Americans are hypothyroid.
10 Signs You Have Hypothyroidism:
- Fatigue. Do you wake feeling rested? Do you find yourself with ample energy to get through your day? If you answered no and struggle with fatigue, you should have your thyroid evaluated by an experienced doctor.
- High Cholesterol. Cholesterol that does not respond to diet, exercise or even medication can be a sign of hypothyroidism. Many health care professionals aim to lower cholesterol, but in my experience, that is only focusing on a symptom, rather than treating the root cause.
- Weight Changes. Unexplained weight loss and even gain can be a sign of a thyroid disorder. If you’ve not changed your workout routine or eating habits, but continue to gain weight, please have your thyroid examined.
- Bowel Issues. Constipation, diarrhea or IBS can all be signs of hypothyroidism. The most common sign is constipation. If you are dependent on fiber supplements, stool softeners or laxatives you should speak with your doctor about thyroid testing.
- Mood. Depression and anxiety can result from thyroid disease.
- Muscle Aches & Joint Pain. Waking with aching joints, poor exercise recovery, weakness in your limbs or carpal tunnel are all symptoms related to thyroid dysfunction.
- Hair Problems. Dry, fragile hair and hair loss are common symptoms of a low functioning thyroid.
- Changes in Skin. Skin that is dry, thick and scaling also indicates a thyroid imbalance.
- Difficulty Swallowing or Changes in Neck Size. Feeling like your neck is swollen or difficulty swallowing may be due to an enlarged thyroid gland.
- Menstrual Irregularities & Infertility. Irregular timing, heavy bleeding, painful cramping or missing periods may be due to your thyroid. If your menses are irregular, you will likely find yourself struggling to conceive.
Need more information? Read more here to understand more about hypothyroidism and what you can do.
Dr. Brighten has helped many hypothyroid patients overcome their condition, reclaim their health and live a more enjoyable life. Want to learn more about her services? Click here to learn about her approach to hypothyroidism.