- 8 cups peeled & cubed (1 inch) butternut squash. About 2 1/2 pounds.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon salt
- 14 ounce chicken or vegetable broth, divided
- 4 cups warm milk, divided
- 1/4 cup pine nuts of walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Combine squash, oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper on to a oiled baking dish.
- Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 45 minutes. Squash should be tender.
- Place half of squash, half of milk and half of broth into a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour pureed mixture into a large saucepan.
- Repeat steps 4 & 5 with the remaining squash, milk and broth.
- Cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated (about 5 minutes). Do not boil.
- Stir in remaining salt and pepper.
- Serve your butternut squash soup in bowls with nuts sprinkled on top.